Adding HURD/Alpha configuration to build?

I am trying to add support for a HURD/Alpha (alpha-gnu?!?) build
configuration to gcc, but the only file I could find that seemed to
actually control "*-gnu" targets was gcc/config.gcc (there was a
documented section there which seemd to show what to do to support
HURD-based architectures--x86 and mips are already supported,
apparently, according to the comments and the configuration statements).
I tried to make the appropriate changes to support alpha-gnu in this
file (following the leasd of the x86 and mips statements), then tried
the following configurations:

    ./configure --target=alpha-gnu
    ./configure --target=alpha-unknown-gnu
    ./configure --target=alphaev56-gnu
    ./configure --target=alphaev56-unknown-gnu

but configure still complains about all of these being unsupported
targets--does anyone know how to add support for an architecture to a
HURD build configuration ?

Sincerely,
Andrew Miklic