array declaration and access

Hi,
   I have trouble with declaring arrays. I want to use
array in my avrgcc code, using atmega128, but I don't
know how to declare the array. Do I do this:
  arr: .byte 100   ; reserve 100 bytes

And I don't know how to access individual bit in the
array. I have to be able to access the bits to
represent whether a bank of light is on or off.

  Thank you for any suggestions.

Ed