Re: Cygwin / GCC

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 12:50:30PM -0600, Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG wrote:
> Thanks. [...]
> If you open the individual categories you will find things
> that are labeled "skip".  There have even been some packages in the last few
> weeks
> that after installing, you have to reinstall to get everything working.

Yes. Here's what I did:

I went to cygwin.sourceforge.net, clicked over to where the Setup.exe
is located, ran it, then selected everything of value (gcc-2.95, all libraries,
etc).

> I noticed there are a couple of important things you left out.  Number 1, do
> you
> install Cygwin with a DOS or a Unix option?  Next, what additions, if any,
> have
> you made to your environment variables, and where did you make them.  It is
> [...]

I did not do anything special with respect to a "Unix" or "DOS" option.
I don't really even know what you are talking about there. The defaults
just worked.

There were no additions to my system environment variables. Once I had
installed Cygwin, I double-click on the Cygwin link on my desktop which
starts up bash. From within that shell, everything is set up correctly.

I added /usr/local/bin to my $PATH using ~/.bashrc, to find the other
packages I installed (from source).

> One other question is this.  Do you use 3.0.3 daily on regular work?

Yes. I run all my code through gcc-3.0.3 to check for standards conformance.
However, I use gcc-2.95 for my final code because my gcc-3.0.3 binaries are
much larger than the same binary compiled by gcc-2.95.

I have compiled the gcc-3.0.3 libraries without debugging and with "-O2",
so it's not debugging information in the libraries. Does anyone know
what I need to do to resolve the binary size problem?

> (a) You have no additional tools installed or modified above base Cygwin
> tools

Nothing that would affect this. For example, I have XFree86-4.1.0 and tons
of X utilities installed.

> (b) You don't do anything after make -k install, i.e. move things around,
> compile something additional in.

That is correct.

Best regards,

			---Kayvan

[[ Available for consulting. http://www.sylvan.com/~kayvan/Resume.html ]]
Kayvan A. Sylvan          | Proud husband of       | Father to my kids:
Sylvan Associates, Inc.   | Laura Isabella Sylvan  | Katherine Yelena (8/8/89)
http://sylvan.com/~kayvan | "crown of her husband" | Robin Gregory (2/28/92)