calling C function from program.

sir/madam,
             I am facing some problem, when i call a C
function from a fortran program & compile it using
g77.

Here is my fortran program ---->
      program hello
      call callC("calling C program")
      print *, "hai"
      end
Here is my C function ---------->
      callC_(x)
      char* x;
       {
         printf("%s\n", x);
       }
Now if i compile this with g77, I am getting the
output like this
     calling C programhai
     hai
  The argument which i am passing to the C
function("calling C program") is appended with the
output of the next 'print' statement("hai"). if i
append '\0' at the end of that argument("calling C
program\0"), then it is working fine. Why is it like
this.
 I am compiling the program like this.

    g77 "fortran file" "c file"

     Will you please suggest me the right way to call
a C function from fortran program?

      Expecting your earliest reply.
                Thanking you,
                               R.Ganesh