RE: Newbie/CS Student - VGA question

Jonathan Simms wrote:

> I'm taking "Advanced C" and my professor is running me through the
> graphics BIOS calls.

? The graphics BIOS calls are target and OS specific and, to all intents
and purposes, obsolete. (Not what I'd expect from 'Advanced C'.)

> Where can i look for information/tutorials/etc. about writing
> code that makes use of old-school, 320x200 VGA ROM-BIOS calls?

The classic free DOS programming guide would be "Ralf Brown's interrupt
list": just throw that into a search engine. That should, amongst many
other things, contain documentation of all the VGA interrupts (int
0x10).Most, however, just use the BIOS to set mode and then poke to
video memory directly. For that, you probably want search-engine for
'"mode x" vga'.

:
> What library/include files define "REGS"?

That's probably in dos.h. It'd be a vendor extension.

You can do all of the above (and more, and in a more efficient way)
using GCC's inline assembler - see section 5 of the GCC manual.

Good luck,
Rup.