problems with g77

Hi,
	We are facing a problem with running a quantum chemical
computation package called GAMESS compiled using g77 on 64 bit LInux on
IA64. The software terminates abnormally saying "out of range values"
seemingly with double precision data. Could anyone please help with the
answers to the following questions which I think will help us fix the
problem??
	1) Is the g77 port to 64 bit LInux bug free especially with
		double precision data type??
	2) Which are the kind of programming constructs which we should be
		looking for in the code(I am new to Fortran) that could
		exhibit machine dependent behaviour??

	All help in the form of answers to these queries and anything more
which could go a long way towards solving the problem will be highly
appreciated.

Thanks in Advance & Regards,
Sreenath