Re: Build native compiler using cross compiler??

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci wrote:

> At 14.46 27/12/2001 (GMT +0800), Aladdin Chang wrote:
> >Dear all,
> >
> >Is it possible to build a native compiler  for MIPS
> >using a cross compiler like mipsel-linux-gcc ?
> >

> >Aladdin
>
> I think so.
> First build a cross compiler (with the libraries for the target system).
> Then use that to build a compiler for ther target system that'll run on the
> target system.

I would then use the compiler built by the cross-compiler to compile
a new compiler on the native system.

That is:
1) Build your cross compiler.
2) Use the cross compiler to build a native compiler.
3) Use the native compiler on its hardware to build a native compiler.

The compilers should from steps 2 and 3 should be identical.
If 2 can't build 3, then 2 is broken.   It's a good way to make sure
your cross compiler is working correctly, and generating code that
actually runs.

Most people probably wouldn't go that far, but in my mind you're skating
on ice if you don't.

Hope that helps.

-Rob

--