Re: installation

>>>>> "john" == john pete <augmentedmatrix@yahoo.com> writes:

    john> I'm having serious problems in installing gcc.  I download
    john> cygwin, installed it and its operational.

Well, if you've successfully installed cygwin why didn't you install
gcc in the same process? Anyway, just use cygwin's setup program and
choose gcc to install.

    john> I downloaded the gcc the 17 meg file, uncompressed it and
    john> even got the 1.7 meg file and did the same but i can find
    john> how to use it?

17 meg or 1.7 meg file ?? Sorry, that's not significant. I mean there
are a mere thousand files with approximately that size, though we may
break it down to a few hundred if we assume it begins with
`gcc'. Without knowing what *exactly* you downloaded and from where,
it's unlikely that someone can tell you what you should do with the
files you unpacked. (but usually it's a good idea to read the README
file and the installation instructions at the location where you got
the archive).

    john> where do i type gcc or g++ to compile my files? What is the
    john> exectuable file?

It doesn't differ in any way from the standard windows programs,
executable are those files with a .exe .com or .bat extension, AFAIK.

    john> How do i run it???  I'm new to unix but have a firm
    john> understanding of Dos, but i can seem to get gcc going.
                                      ^^^ typo?

    john> HELP!

    john> from: Frustrated computer scientist student who has an
    john> assignment due tomorrow but the lab is all full and all C++
    john> compilers for windows suck!

Well, what the OS lacks can't be compensated by the best compiler ;-).

Claudio