RE: Configuration ouput

Kabir Patel wrote:

> a) "Warning: compilation may fail because you're using
> /usr/ucb/cc.  You should change your PATH or CC
> variable and rerun configure."
>
> I selected CC=cc, which is what I use to run C code normally.

I don't know the history behind this message; you may want to try:

    CC=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc

instead and see if it prefers that, or to add the /opt/SUNWspro/bin to
your PATH environment before /usr/ucb. I think UCB is 'Unix
Compatibility Binaries' or similar - an interface to the compiler to map
command line switches, etc. - and it probably prefers the compiler
directly.

> b) "grep: can't open
> /export/home/kabir/gnu/gcc-3.0.2/libstdc++-v3/configure.in
> ./config.status is unchanged"
>
> This file (in fact the entire folder libstdc++-v3) doesn't
> exist. Is it meant to?

Not if you're not trying to build a C++ compiler - I think you just
downloaded the 'core' distribution without C++? If so, it shouldn't be
trying to build the C++ compiler, but that might be a build-system bug
rather than any problem your end. Fingers crossed it'll just work.

> c) "configure: warning:
> *** Makeinfo is missing or too old.
> *** Info documentation will not be built."

GCC can regenerate its own documentation from texinfo sources. You don't
have the necessary tools to do this, but that's OK - the distribution
should contain a pre-built copy of the documentation to install. It
certainly won't break a build of the compiler.