Re: After installation 3.0.2

pocm@rnl.ist.utl.pt (Paulo J. Matos aka PDestroy) writes:

> Hi all,
>

> I'm running RedHat 7.1 and I had all the gcc3.0.0 rpms installed and I've
> just compiled and installed gcc 3.0.2.
> gcc 3.0.0 executable is in /usr/bin and gcc 3.0.2 executable is in
> /usr/local/bin
> when I run gcc I get the 3.0.0 version.
> I'm thinking about removing all the gcc 3.0.0 rpms but I don't know if
> it is safe because it might delete 3.0.2 files, I think.
>
> What should I do?

Some of the heavy hitter here can correct me if this is bad advice but
I just went through something similar also on Redhat 7.1

If you didn't give any special --prefix=SOMEPATH to ./configure then I
think it will have installed everything /usr/local.  It did here.  And
I think most gnu soft ware defaults to /usr/local unless told
otherwise.

Uninstalling the gcc installed by rpm will probably cause some
problems with other software.  But it won't do anything to the
gcc-3.0.2 install in /usr/local.  I think it would be wise to leave
the rpm install alone for a while.

You can set your PATH to avoid /usr/bin/gcc by putting /usr/local/bin
first.

Open a shell and test this out, you'll see how it works soon.

which gcc
/usr/bin/gcc

PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH;export PATH

which gcc
/usr/local/bin/gcc

Once you've tried it out on something by the above technique and you
see no problems, then make it permanent in your $USER acct
~/.bash_profile.  Probably in /root/.bash_profile too.

I recommend that you first make copies of any files you edit in case it gets
confusing.

Here is a well known technique to keep some kind of basic record of
original configs:

Copy the file to a unique name that records the date handily too.

cp /etc/profile /etc/profile_$(date +"%m%d%H%M%S")

That will give you a handy dated backup copy that looks like:

cp file file_$(date +"%m%d%H%M%S")
ls file*
file <== edit this one.
file_1031040853