Re: Help : File does not end with newline

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 12:40:57AM +0000, Paul Lim wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> Zack, I have attached my file here for you to check. I have verified that
> the file attached to you does not compile cleanly i.e it has the "File does
> not end with newline" warning.

Is the *only* diagnostic message that you get the "File does not end
in newline" warning?  That is the only message I get.

If it is, well, that is a correct warning.  The last line of the
diary.h that I received does not have any end-of-line marker on it.
You can probably fix the file with your usual text editor by going to
the end of the last line, hitting RETURN, and then saving the file.
Please note that this is a *warning*, not an error; your program will
still be compiled successfully even if you do not fix the file.

I am suspicious that I did not receive the exact same file as you have
on your system.  The file I received has Unix line endings (0x0a only)
whereas Windows uses DOS line endings (two bytes, 0x0d 0x0a).  It
seems likely to me that the program you used to create the zipfile
converted diary.h to its idea of a canonical format, destroying the
information I need.

Please download GZIP.EXE from http://www.gzip.org/, apply it to
diary.h (producing diary.h.gz or possibly diary.gz) and send me that
file.  I do not need to see any of the other files again.

zw