Problems with compilation of modules

Hello,
I have installed Linux (RH 7.1) Kernel 2.4.2.2 on
an Pentium III m/c.
I wnated to make modules after building the kernel.
But I am facing problems during compilation, esp
for the files asm/include/spinlock.h
extern int printk(char * fmt,...)
                     __attribute__((format(printf,1,2));

It says Nondecimal and not a hexadecimal. Also
it says printk declared as function returning a function
ptr.

The same thing happens for linux/include/module.h for
inter_module_register and other functions.
What is the problem.
The version of gcc is 2.96.

What are the other info I should gather?

Thanks in the meantime,
Regards,
Pradeep

Get fast and easy Internet access through
http://www.netkracker.com