RE: How to tell compiler to use my_malloc inplace of normal 'malloc'

> #define malloc my_malloc

   If i use this, then where ever i use malloc, it gets
   replaced by my_malloc.
   what i want is this:
    my_malloc()
    {
		/* do my own stuff */
		malloc();
     }
  and i want my_malloc to be substituted in place of all malloc
  calls.
  I am thinking that this could be done without changing all the
  files, except for Makefiles.

  Can i do this or is my understanding is wrong.

> or, on the command-line, gcc ... "-Dmalloc=my_malloc"
>

> * Mynampati, Venkata S. <MynamVS@nsc-msg01.network.com>
> [22/08/2001 14:43]:
> > Hi,
> > My question is a bit confusing, but it pertains to what i
> read sometime
> > back, which is like this:
> > I read that while compiling i can tell the compiler to
> replace all mallocs
> > with my wrapper function called 'my_malloc', in which, i do
> something
> > and call malloc. I remember reading that i can use this
> facility to keep
> > track of whose using malloc and how many number of times.
> > i.e where ever 'malloc' is used, 'my_malloc' gets substituted.
> >
> > Could you helping me how to achieve this using gcc?
> > [or may be i dreamt up this one]
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Venkat
> >

> > Worry about chances you miss when you don't even try.
> >

> --
> Ryan T. Sammartino
> http://members.home.net/ryants/
> To communicate is the beginning of understanding.
> 		-- AT&T

 Thanks and regards,
Venkat