Re: AW: gcc 2.95 under HP-UX11

On Jul 27, 2001, "Grammes, Carsten" <cg@dialogika.de> wrote:

> Well it seems there are 3 more or less official gcc ports to HP-UX 11
> available:

They probably fail to address the fixincludes issues that cause you to
run into these problems.

> 3. Redhat GnuPro which also can be found on the HP developers resource page.
> This one I did not yet try. From your sig I assume you have sth. to do with
> it?

I just happen to work for the company where this port was developed.
I was in no way involved with it, so I'll refrain from commenting on
it.  But I'd expect it to just work, if it's indeed targeted for HP-UX
11, not some earlier version of HP-UX.

> The configure script for gcc3.0 fails when trying to determine max length
> for commandline arguments (it runs into a "memory low" condition). Again
> this shouldn't be due to gcc 2.95.3.

Oh, yeah, that problem!  There's a work-around in place for GCC
3.0.1.  The patch is:

2001-07-21  Michael Chastain  <chastain@redhat.com>

	* ltconfig: Set max_cmd_len to a maximum of 512Kb, as it seems some
	HPUX 11.0 systems have trouble with 1MB.  Mark as gcc-local.
	* ltmain.sh: Mark as gcc-local.

Basically, all you have to do is to replace `18' with `17' in
ltconfig, in a line that looks like:

          new_result=`expr "X$testring" : ".*" 2>&1` &&
          lt_cv_sys_max_cmd_len=$new_result &&
-         test $i != 18
+         test $i != 17
  do