Build question regarding 64-bit HPUX 11.00

Dear All,
I'm working on building gcc for HPUX 11.00, with my goal being a 64-bit
capable compiler.

Using CC=/opt/ansic/bin/cc and CFLAGS=+DA2.0W (plus some other options)
I can successfully build binutils 2.11.2.

For the gcc stage, I configured with CC and CFLAGS as above, pointed
configure explicitly at the gnu assembler I built, and specified
--enable-shared. The build subsequently tries to feed -fPIC to the
compiler. That seems strange. cc ignore the option and later on the
build fails because it seems to be trying to link 32bit and 64bit
objects. (I can produce specific output if that will help).

I also tried using an older gcc but that causes problems as well because
none of the older gcc builds I have really work well on HPUX 11.00. It
seems at this point asking the list for what the general approach for
this build is would be the best idea, or at least to verify 64-bit is
supported on HPUX 11.00 now. If not, then I guess I can try to build a
32-bit version at least.

Also, would changing .../config/mt-papic and .../config/mh-papic to pass
+Z flags be the best way to get a shared-lib build working with the HP
ansic compiler?

Thanks much,

-Rob

--