RE: Building gcc as a cross compiler

  All the formats are fairly generic, thanks to the portability of
binutils; I'm not expert in making that sort of choice, but IIUIC arm-elf
might be better as it's a more modern format and has the best support
for things like debugging info (particularly in C++), weak symbols and
dynamic linking.  However I am not an object-file-format expert, so you
should probably look for better advice than mine on the subject.

  As to which library you want, glibc is more suited to a desktop PC;
newlib is good for embedded systems in which resources are constrained.
For the same reason, porting glibc to a new system is probably a bit
more work than newlib, but it's really the way to go.

  And you should rebuild your compiler using the glibc headers!

    good luck,
      DaveK
--
 All your base are belong to us!