Problem Installing gcc 2.95.2

I am trying to run the configure script on a PowerPC system running LynxOS
3.1.0a, but I am running into problems. If I run the configure script with
no arguments, it quits right away, saying that it cannot identify the host.
If I use the following command line:

     /../configure --host=powerpc-lynxos

it will run for a time but will eventually fail, saying that it cannot
configure for that combination. I have tried several different combinations
of cpu's and operating systems with the same result. I even tried going
into the config.guess and putting in something that looked similar to a
combination that was in there. Is there any way to get the configure script
to execute with a combination of cpu and operating system that is not
explicity listed in the config.guess file? Are there other changes that
would have to be made in other files?

I already have a Gnu compiler on the system, 2.9, which seems to work but
was not made with the fortran compiler (which is what I need). The version
I downloaded from the Gnu site is 2.95.2.

Tom Condarcure
Raytheon Systems Co.
P.O. Box 11337
Bldg 805  MS F4