Re: Start address of a binary

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2001, Sébastien Côté <scote1@Matrox.COM> wrote:
>
> > ld : warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to 0180074
>
> > Is 0x180074 right?
>
> It may be.  If no _start symbol exists in the executable, the linker
> probably assumes it should start in the beginning of the .text
> section.  But you'd better define _start properly so that it calls
> global initializers, then main().

Looking at the objdump of the file, the instructions seems to be right.
I'm more suspicious about the address because my frind's compiler
defaults to 0x10000074 (why this difference, I couldn't tell).

I defined _start just to be sure and the first addres was still
0x180074.  Can it be any value or does it have to be within a range?

Thanks for your help,

Sébastien Côté