symbols of a library

HI all
This is kind of offtrack from gcc. Please bear with me.

I am creating libraries using the -G switch.
I get the libraries fine.
It is advised to use the -shared switch. But I get a lot of errors with this
switch.
They are as below:

Text relocation remains                         referenced
    against symbol                  offset      in file
get_conversion_data                 0x660       default_processing.c.o
get_conversion_data                 0x694       bill_payment_processing.c.o
<unknown>                           0x110       CheckCardExpiry.c.o
<unknown>                           0x25c       CheckCardExpiry.c.o
<unknown>                           0x258       CheckCardExpiry.c.o
<unknown>                           0x254       CheckCardExpiry.c.o
<unknown>                           0x250       CheckCardExpiry.c.o
<unknown>                           0x10c       CheckCardExpiry.c.o
<unknown>                           0x144       CheckCardExpiry.c.o
<unknown>                           0x118       CheckCardExpiry.c.o
<unknown>                           0x11c       CheckCardExpiry.c.o
<unknown>                           0x140       CheckCardExpiry.c.o
<unknown>                           0x298       CheckCardExpiry.c.o
<unknown>                           0x124       CheckCardExpiry.c.o
<unknown>                           0x128       CheckCardExpiry.c.o
<unknown>                           0x294       CheckCardExpiry.c.o
sqlca                               0x648       api_dyn.c.o
sqlca                               0x14c       CheckCardExpiry.c.o
sqlca                               0x150       CheckCardExpiry.c.o
sqlca                               0x2c4       CheckCardStopList.c.o
sqlca                               0x184       CheckCardStopList.c.o
sqlca                               0x64c       api_dyn.c.o
sqlca                               0x180       CheckCardStopList.c.o
sqlca                               0x26c       icici_CheckCardAccess.c.o
sqlca                               0xef4
icici_standin_authorization.c.o
sqlca                               0x2c8       CheckCardStopList.c.o
sqlca                               0xb24       icici_CheckCardLimits.c.o
sqlca                               0xb20       icici_CheckCardLimits.c.o
memset                              0xc0        CheckCardExpiry.c.o
memset                              0x1c60      trans_processing.c.o
memset                              0x1ec       default_processing_dyn.c.o
memset                              0x2e40      trans_processing.c.o
memset                              0x1c48      trans_processing.c.o
memset                              0x64        api_dyn.c.o
memset                              0x84        api_dyn.c.o
memset                              0xa4        api_dyn.c.o
memset                              0x1c30      trans_processing.c.o
memset                              0x1be8      trans_processing.c.o
memset                              0x1bd0      trans_processing.c.o
memset                              0x1bb8      trans_processing.c.o
memset                              0x1ba0      trans_processing.c.o
memset                              0x1b88      trans_processing.c.o
memset                              0x40        icici_standin_processing.c.o
memset                              0x1b70      trans_processing.c.o
memset                              0x1b58      trans_processing.c.o
memset                              0x84        icici_standin_processing.c.o
memset                              0x9c        icici_standin_processing.c.o
memset                              0xb4        icici_standin_processing.c.o
memset                              0x13c       api_dyn.c.o

given above is only a part of the errors. The output is voluminous.
Any clues??

Also, is there any tool which gives me the symbols (functions and variable)
that the particular library defines taking as input the .a or .so.

thanks for ur time,
Puneet
The Boulder Pledge: "Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything
offered to me as the result of an unsolicited email message. Nor will I
forward chain letters, petitions, mass mailings, or virus warnings to large
numbers of others. This is my contribution to the survival of the online
community."