installing gcc on alpha Unix system

I downloaded and configured the gcc-295.2 package from the GNU.  When I did
the make command to build the package, I got a ASM_START_FILE missing error
message which I got around by going to the gcc sub-dir and modifying the
config.h file to include the config/alpha/osf.h.  The make goes much further
but during the make of the libgcc2.c, it errors again saying that the itoft
command is not supported on the selected architecture.  I am thinking that
the configure is not properly finding the machine architecture.  Please let
me know what I might do to fix this problem.

   Mike  Kerich
   mikek@nih.gov