Re: elf or ecoff

> Subject: elf or ecoff
> Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 11:29:05 -0700
> From: Darrell Bellert <dbellert@boulder.qms.com>
> To: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
>
> Can someone please explain the difference between an elf target and an
> ecoff target, or point me to a site where this is explained?

COFF (Common Object File Format) and ELF (Extensible Linking Format)
are object file formats used by different operating systems.

COFF is older and was used in Unix SVR3.  It (or variants) is used by
several targets, suchs as i960.   ELF was developed for SVR4 and
is more widely used, including Solaris, Linux, and many others.
Documentation on ELF can be found at www.sco.org, or in the
System 4 ABI manual at libraries and bookstores.

--

Michael Eager
Senior Tools Developer	  Phone: (408) 328-8426