RE: Help!! 2nd Request!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: gcc-help-owner@gcc.gnu.org [mailto:gcc-help-owner@gcc.gnu.org]On
Behalf Of Jeff Sturm
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2001 9:18 AM
To: Ben Ocean
Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Help!! 2nd Request!!!

How can I install Mailman if I can?t install GCC??? How can
> I install GCC when the instructions for installing it are
> written in Greek??? Look, I?m not brain-dead, but it appears
> that whoever wrote the following intended to keep GCC from
> being installed by all but a handful of techno-nerds:

Well, several have tried to help.  My suggestion is to help us help you.
Specifically:

1) I know nothing about Mailman; why exactly does it require GCC?
I haven't a clue, but they're very specific about it on the Mailman site:
download GCC first!
2) What platform are you trying to build for?  Does it have a C compiler
now?
My platform is RedHat 6.2. I apologize that I don't know if it has a C
compiler yet: my sys-admin is having *technical difficulties* right now so I
can't ask him. As I recall, they didn't build anything fancy over the RedHat
install that had to do with C.
3) You may find it simpler to install a binary release of GCC than
attempting to
configure and build the source release.  Did you check if one is available
for
your system?
Hmmm. Well, if they've got them for anything, they've got them for RedHat,
right? I went here:
http://www.sco.com/skunkware/devtools/index.html#gcc
and got confused :(  They talk a lot about skunkware, but I'm not built on
skunkware (that's different than RedHat, right?)

And lastly:

4) Don't post in HTML, even as a multipart message.  It makes your message
more
difficult to read and quote for me, and many others I suspect.
Help me here. I just switched over to Outlook from Eudora (long story) and
it made Word my default processor. I know the bold and italics tags came
over last time (sorry about that!), but is this coming across as plain
ASCII, or do I need to change the default? My machine obviously reads my
posts just fine. Thank you for your help!
BenO

--
Jeff Sturm
jeff.sturm@commerceone.com