Tools for ST9040 microprocessor?

Dear GNU people,

I am trying to find a GNU assembler and compiler that generates code
for the ST9040 microprocessor. I have reason to believe the tools
exist, but I haven't been able to find them.

The chip vendor (SGS Thomson, now known as STMicroelectronics)
documentation says that there's a GNU tool chain that generates code
for the ST9040 microprocessor, but it's an older chip and nobody
there seems to know much about this software now. It says "The GNU
tools are made of five processing blocks..." and refers to gmake,
LD9, GCC9, GNU9, etc.

So I guess I would say I'm trying to find out if there's a way to
TARGET gcc to generate assembler code for the st9040, and further, if
there is a GNU assembler for the ST9040. I couldn't find any mention
of this processor on the GNU web pages, yet the chip manuals from
1997 clearly mention it. I want to run it on a Mac or a PC. I would
love to have the tool source code also if available.

Please respond to lslonim@riconnect.com - I don't think I can get
news.

Thanks,
Lloyd Slonim