GNU gprof

I have a few questions about GNU gprof to clarify its documentation and the
info-gnu list suggested I ask my questions here. Any help and/or redirection
to a more appropriate list would be aprreciated.

According to the man page with the program it states that the program will
only work with the cc compiler. However, the online documentation claims
that it works with C++ code. Which piece of documentation is correct? Or are
they both correct and I merely have an old version of gprof.

The online documentation I found is at:
http://www.tc.cornell.edu/UserDoc/Software/ProgLang/prof/

Am I looking at the same product or something different?

My goal is to find a program that will enable me to perform profiling of a
C++ program that makes extensive use of various shared libraries. Is GNU
gprof the program for me or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Marcus