Understanding automake

Hello:

I downloaded and installed automake.  I'm trying to figure out why when I
execute the ./configure step for other GNU packages, the package doesn't see
automake on my machine.  Here is the line I'm getting:

   checking for working automake... missing

When I built automake, it built and installed with no problems.  It created
the 2 binaries, automake and aclocal and placed them in the /usr/local/bin
directory.  I then set up symbolic links from /usr/bin (which is in root's
path) to point to the binaries in /usr/local/bin (which is not in root's
path) as such:

   ln -s /usr/local/bin/automake /usr/bin/automake
   ln -s /usr/local/bin/aclocal /usr/bin/aclocal

If I type the command which automake, it returns:

   /usr/bin/automake

which indicates that the system sees automake.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

- Mike