RE: Building gcc 9.95.2 toolchain to run vxWorks on a PowerPC

       Hi Stuart,

  Yet again my mail doesn't seem to have made it through to the list.
This is probably due to my work using PSInet for our ISP; the psinet
smtp server we use is on at least one of the anti-spam blacklists that
Gnu check incoming mail for the mailing lists against, so please pass
on my apologies to the list for only including them in one half of the
conversation!

  Anyway, in answer to your questions, and starting at the end first:
you do indeed need to have $prefix/bin (normally /usr/local/bin, but
in your case /us/slovett/compilers/install_new/bin) in your path; as
/usr/local/bin is in most people's path settings by default on pretty
much every *nix implementation there is, the build doesn't mess around
with the paths. AFAIK, the --prefix option is only used to tell the
build process where the final files should be installed. So set it in
your $PATH and forget about it; that's ok.

  As far as the actual gcc build itself goes, you're probably doing
fine, although it may not seem that way! The various subdirectories
off the main gcc-2.95.2 directory (libiberty, libio etc) are related
stuff that goes into the C library of the compiler. Since all C library
functionality in VxWorks is already build into the OS, there's no need
to build them at all! It's a slight bug that the build process even
tries, but not a serious one. The solution to your problem is simply
to cd into the gcc subdir from the gcc-2.95.2 dir, and execute your
make all install command there! That way only the crosscompiler itself
is built and installed. Hopefully that should then all work fine.

     hth,
         DaveK
--
Event being observed is indistinguishable from the observer.
	-- Schrödinger's cat

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com