Error when compiling gcc

Hi,

I have some doubts about compiling a gcc release on a linux PC.
I don't know if can send a large bug report, so I'll try to explain
shortly what happens.
The processor is a Celeron, and RedHat6.0 is installed, with
gcc2.9? binaries (I'm not sure about the numbers, because due to my
winmodem I must run on MsWindows to send mail so I can't
check).
I have to customize gcc in order to perform a special run time basic
block profiling. So I've downloaded the sources of gcc2.7?, and failed
to build the compiler. I even don't know if it's possible to build an older
version with the newest compiler.

Here's what happens, from the source dir
	./configure --build=i586-redhat-linux
and I build the first stage with
	make LANGUAGES=c
most of the script is successfully executed, but before the end, crtbegin.o
and crtend.o are missing for linking  'enquire'.
I've found two dirs with such files:
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/egcs-2.91-66 and
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-glibc20-linux/egcs-2.91-66
if I copy both files form one the preceiding dirs to the source dir, the make
script can be successfully executed.
I then transfer produced tools to stage1 dir with
	make stage1
Then, in order to build stage2 compiler:
	make CC="./stage1/xgcc -B./stage1" CFLAGS="-g -O2"
and after some work the script fails because many stage1 binaries
are badly made. The first one is 'genattr' (but also genopts and most gen*).
If I try to run genattr, with or without arg, it immediatly core dumps.
If I copy genattr and others from src dir to stage1 dir, the compilation
stage can
be achieved, but the tools produced also core dump.

What would you suggest to try ?

Best Regards,
S. Raimbault