trying to build gcc on Flamingo

Hello all.

 I am trying to compile gcc on a DEC box and getting stuck.

 This is an Alpha processor on a TurboChannel board - DEC 3000 M 600 -
nickname Flamingo. There is no Linux for it and never will be, so I am
trying to build a GNU system on top of the existing kernel and compiler.

 The box runs OSF1 3.2, "DEC OSF/1 AXP Compiler Driver 3.11" and "ld
version 3.11". This is a C compiler but not a C++ compiler. It uses the
COFF format.

 I was able to compile a ream of things, like tcsh, bash, cvs, make,
bison, flex, gdb 4.18, the xemacs and five libraries it requires, tar,
gzip and less.

 I got stuck trying to make the binutils 2.10 (namely the GNU 'as' and
GNU 'ld') and the gcc 2.95.2. The 'build status page' on the gcc site
says it was built on OSF/1 4.0 but not on 3.2.

Here is the abstract of what I tried:

It configured as 'alpha-dec-osf3.2'.

 First attempt: When I tried to 'make bootstrap' with the existing 'as'
and 'ld', the complaint was that 'as0 does not understand fnop'

 Second attempt: Then I tried to build the GNU 'as' which comes in
binutils 2.10. The 'configure' script of the binutils says 'as' and 'ld'
are not supported on this platform. To make the gas compile, I removed
the 'ifdef OBJ_ELF' conditional at gas/config/tc-alpha.h:109. Then I
configured with this 'as'. When I tried again to 'make bootstrap', it
built stage 1, and then compiled the first set of objects for stage 2,
and when the 'ld' tried to link 'cc1' it complained that 'mbchar.o'
contains no symbols. Indeed, checking with 'file' and/or 'nm' indicated
that while gcc/stage1/mbchar.o was not stripped, gcc/mbchar.o was
stripped, and it was the only stripped object file in gcc.

 Third attempt: Then I tried to also build the GNU 'ld' in the binutils.
The DEC compiler did not like 'const char* const' at ld/ldlang.c:4121,
but I then tried the xgcc which was in gcc/stage1, and that worked. Then
I configured with the GNU as and ld and then tried to build stage 2:
 make
 make stage1
 make CC='stage1/xgcc -Bstage1/ -B/usr/local/alpha-dec-osf3.2/bin/'
and when linking 'cc1' I got the message "... relocation truncated to
fit: LITERAL lita" repeated for a lot of lines in a lot of files.

I am getting lost here.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Victor Secarin