Help in Running Free GCC Compiler from Internet

Hello:

I downloaded the files required to install the GCC
compiler from a Web site
(http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/download.html).
 I followed the instructions and installed the zipped
files in a directory in my C drive (C:\Mingw32).  I
next unzipped the files.  Next, at the C prompt in
MSDOS, I typed "gcc -v".  It then gave me a response
that signifies that the compiler is running correctly
(as indicated in the instructions).

I am not sure how I can compile a sample program (say,
sample.c) at the MS DOS prompt which I store in the
root directory of C (C:\).

I tried typing the following at the c drive prompt in
MS DOS:

C:\>gcc sample.c
C:\>gcc c:\sample.c

The message that I get back is:

GCC.EXE: No such file or directory
GCC.EXE: No input files

I am not sure what I am doing wrong.  Thank you in
advance for your help.

-Dick Lam