inline asm

Is there any effort currently underway to expand the functionality
of the inline assembly in gnu c?  For example, the ability to do
asm{
   movl %eax,%eax
   movl foo,%ecx
};
would be wonderful (get rid of annoying "\n\t"s).  Also, simple things
like the ability to resolve memory locations would help alot, for
example:

struct foo{
   int a,b;
} foo;
main(){
  foo.a=1;
  asm(  "movl " foo.a ",%eax\n\t" );
}

This would only make things about 3 billion times easier.  I know
you can do this with the funky asm syntax, but then you don't have
complete control over which registers you can use, and I don't like
that.

If these features aren't currently in egcs, I would be glad to add
them if someone could point me to the correct location in the
source code.

Thanks,
Dave Klint