Re: compiling a gcc2.9.5

On Tue, 9 May 2000, juan uribe wrote:

> >From: "juan uribe" <ja_uribe@hotmail.com>
> >To: ja_uribe@hotmail.com
> >Subject: Re: compiling a gcc2.9.5
> >Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 23:29:01 PDT
> >
> >I want to double check this with someone before I do anything.
> >
> >the following is qouted from the gcc.gnu.org/install page
> >"Second, when configuring a native system, either "cc" or "gcc" must be in
> >your path or you must set CC in your environment before running configure.
> >Otherwise the configuration scripts may fail. "
> >what would be my path and/or environment?
> >
> >"To configure GCC:
> >

> >    % mkdir objdir
> >    % cd objdir
> >    % srcdir/configure [target] [options]
> >target specification "
> >I think I understand this . objdir is the destination of any binaries I
> >compile, right.

Correct.

> srcdir is where the source of gcc 2.95.2 to be compiled is.

Correct.

> >under options i don't think I have gas or gld are they absolutely
> >neccessary.

gas and ld are necessary on linux.

If I remember redhat installation correctly, you get gas, ld, and the rest
  of binutils when you chose to install egcs-1.1.2 (aka 2.91.66) .

I believe configure will tell you if you do not have an assembler (like
  gas) or a linker (like ld) .

> I am running linux kernel 2.2.12-20 on red hat How can I check
> >that to make sure?

I am not sure what you are asking here, but I will guess the answer is in

uname -a

[snip]