FW: Request for help regarding the GNU gcc code generator

Hello
I am interested in creating/developing code generator for gcc, for a
specific hardware (proprietary hardware); thus interested in developing a
cross-compiler for a platform not supported by GCC currently.
I have heard that there exists a facility in gcc whereby I can specify the
details of hardware in some configuration/specification file, so that the
code-generator (or atleast part of the code-generator) gets generated. I am
aware that gcc does indeed generate code for a variety of hardware
configurations, but the hardware I am interested in is a proprietary
hardware, and does not fit into the existing set of CPUs supported by gcc.

I am interested to know whether such a facility exists and where can I find
the relevant information.

Regards
RDNaik