[Fwd: PORTING gnu software to a new system]

> Free Software Foundation wrote:
>
> > Art wrote:
> >
> > > I would like to know is there a manual or a set of directions of
how to
> > > port gnu software to a  new system.
> >
> > Normally, we, the GNU, project don't port the software to new
operating
> > systems.  Since we have totally free operating systems now, we don't
see
> > much urgency to port to other systems if they aren't free.
> >
> > Is this a free system that you are porting to?  If so, could you
tell us
> > about it, so that we might talk about it on our software page
> > (http://www.gnu.org/software/software.html).  Plus, we'd be willing
to help
> > coordinate people to port GNU software to a new free operating
system.

> > If you are porting to a non-free system, you might get some help out
of
> > looking at the GNU programs and seeing how they were ported to other

> > non-free systems.
> >
> > The first step would be to port GCC, to bootstrap everything else.
We have
> > a manual called "Using and Porting GCC" that might get you started.
The
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc_toc.html.

Home wrote:

> I am trying to port the gcc and its related package to Minix (-vmd).
This is
> part of a school project. The status that I am in is trying to port
BFD in
> binutils 2.9.1 to Minix(-vmd).
>
> I have compiled gcc 2.7.1 under Minix(-vmd) and it can only produce
good
> assembly code but not executable code. The reason to port BFD is so
that I can
> have a new "ld" to work with the new gcc 2.7.1.
>
> I have trouble to understand "binutils.2.9.1/bfd/PORTING" file. I
think it may
> not be up-to-date. It keeps saying <target>.mt and hosts/<target>.mh
which I
> cannot find any in the ./bfd/ directory. It also refer to some
/config/readme
> file which is not there. I hope it can be up-to-date all the time.
>
> Also, I am going through the source code of BFD to see what it
actually use.
> If possible, I would like to know the procedure of making a native
port of BFD
> and the other to a new platform.
>
> I think gcc 2.95.2 can only do a cross compiler for Minix. It still
need to
> have a cross ld, cross as, cross ar and cross ranlib which I have
trouble in
> making and find ones.
>
> I hope to get some information of making cross binutil (ld, ar, as,
ranlib).
> Please direct me to the right place. ( I have searched the web site
for a long
> time)

You should send this question to the GCC users' mailing list:
help-gcc@gnu.org.  This is gated to the news group, gnu.gcc.help.  You
can subscribe to the mailing list by sending the word "subscribe" to
the address help-gcc-request@gnu.org.

You can find a complete list of our mailing lists and newsgroups on
our web site at http://www.gnu.org/prep/mailinglists.html.

Good luck and happy hacking!

--
Bradley M. Kuhn, Assistant to the President of the FSF
Free Software Foundation     |  Phone: +1-617-542-5942