Base compiler to install gcc?

I'm trying to configure/install gcc so I can later
install Apache. When running configure, I
originally received the error "you must set the
environment variable CC to a working compiler".
After research on this forum I set the environment
variable CC=gcc, and am now receiving the same
error.

I now understand that to install gcc, you need a
"base" compiler, which this system does not have.
I'm running Solaris 2.5.

Can someone tell me exactly what I need to install
and where I can get it?

Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.