Re: Problem with gcc installation

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 12:20:16 +0530, Abhijit Das <abhijit@miel.mot.com> wrote:

>   I have installed gcc  (solaris version 2.8.1)  on a machine.  gcc works fine
>on that particular machine.   But if I try to compile using gcc from another
>machine over the network, linking goes for a toss..!!
>
>   During linking gcc tries to access a file called "crt1.o"  and it could not
>find the file over the network.  It comes out with the following err msg...

Hello Motorolaville ...

On Motorola GNU C, file "crt0.asm" is the kernel for the executable application.  It is
tailored for the particular platform (EVM board) you are running on.  This might make it a
little tough to compile on a different machine, because the kernel is machine specific.  It
sounds to me like "crt1.o" is the assembled object for a specific machine kernel.  If that
is the case, you'll have to provide your own "crt" source file and assemble it at the start
of the build operation.  Come to think of it, you can provide the object file and there is a
switch in the Linker to tell it what "crt" file to use.  Let me know if you have trouble
finding it and I'll look it up.  I hope this helps you.

All the best, and ENJOY!

Art Du Rea
Knoxville, Tennessee, USA

(Remove NOGI:NOGO for direct e-mail)