Re: Crossing gcc to my new system

> On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:47:15 -0100, Ross Vandegrift <ross@seitz.com>
> wrote:
>
> >So I installed what one might call a "development" suite subset of
> >Slackware 4.0 on a spare partition, and began compiling cross compilers
> >to generate i586-pc-linux-gnu code on an i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1 machine.
>
>  As I understand, you installed a 'native i586-pc-linux-gnu'
> host/target toolset on a 'i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1' host ?  And not
> booted the libc6-based Slackware 4.0 first?

No, I installed a Slackware-4.0 (linux-gnulibc1) host.  Then I
configured and compiled gcc to produce linux-gnu code.  Also, I didn't
install the libc6 Slackware packages - it was pure gnulibc1.

>  You don't now have a cross-compiler, but a native 'i586-linux-gnu'
> toolset running under a 'i586-linux-gnulibc1' system... The
> libc6-binaries can be run under a libc5-based system, if the shared
> libs and the dynamic linker for libc6 are added on the libc5 system...
> This is just the same kind of thing as running SCO 3.2 or SVR4
> binaries under the Linux-ibcs2-emulation.

see above.  Sorry for being unclear in my original post.

> > Now I have a usable system up, with the exception of gcc. gcc is being a
> >real pain.I tried the obvious thing first - configuring it straight up as
> >a native compiler,
[snip]

>   --build=i586-linux-gnulibc1 --host=i586-linux-gnulibc1 \
>   --target=i586-linux-gnu --enable-shared

These are the exact options I used to compile the cross-compiler.

> install the target system's glibc-2.x headers and libs at:
>
>   /usr/local/i586-linux-gnu/...

This could be my problem.  In /usr/local/i586-pc-linux-gnu/..., I
symlinked lib and include to the respective directories in the root of
my new distribution.  This is what I had done before with The Hurd, and
it worked, so I simply assumed that to be correct.  Should I try simply
copying the necessary headers and libraries into those directories?

>  You tried to make a native GCC for 'i586-pc-linux-gnu' on a
> 'i586-pc-linux-libc1' build machine. To get this happen, you should
> have the 'i586-linux-gnulibc1-to-i586-linux-gnu' cross-compiler (the
> GCC-driver having the name 'i586-pc-linux-gnu-gcc') already built and
> ready. Then this could have happened nicely... The situation is quite
> the same as building a native Win32, DOS, FreeBSD etc. compiler under
> Linux...

Hmm, but I had an i586-pc-linux-gnu-gcc that compiled libc6 binaries
correctly.  Is it possible the library problem I mentioned above
contributed to this not working?  Are there any common reason gencheck
will dump core?

Thanks,
	Ross
	ross@seitz.com