rebuilding gcc for cross-compilation

Hi All,

I am looking at using GCC to cross-compile to M68000 assembly.  If I
read the documentation correctly (that's a mighty big if), I can't just
use the switches on the command line to compile the c code that I have
already written.  Thus, I need to rebuild gcc as a cross-compiler.  Can
anyone point me in the right direction on how to do this in as simple a
manner as possible?  I am not a dolt, but Linux is not my forte' quite
yet.

Thanks,

Joel Haugen

ps.  I have looked at the crossGCC faq, but I am looking for a little
more trial-by-fire info.