Re: `m4' - what is it, can Win32 get it?

In article <81ud4f$ae5$2@nntp4.atl.mindspring.net>,
Soren Andersen  <soren@spmfoiler.removethat.wonderstorm.com> wrote:
>Believe it or not, a considerable amount of time was thrown into searching the
>W3 for `m4' after repeatedly reading that it was needed in docs for `configure'
>and particularly for 'autoconf'.
>
>What the heck IS m4 and where is it hiding; do I really need it to program with
>gcc on WinNT and if so, how can I get it?

m4 is a macro processor that comes with just about every Unix system out
there. For WinNT, Cygwin comes with GNU m4; if you want a native
implementation, ie., one that does not require Cygwin runtime DLL, you
can build it yourself or get binaries from:

  ftp://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/home/janjaap/mingw32/binaries/

For GNU sources,

  http://www.gnu.org/software/

For Cygwin, see

  http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/