Installing GCC on an SCO 3.2v5.0.5 system ??

I am new to UNIX and am having a problem getting GCC up on my Compaq
Pentium II system.  I am probably just doing something silly.  I have
downloaded unziped and untarred the GCC files, but now I cannot get
them configured and made.

I get an error message from "configure" which says that I need to set
CC to a working compiler.  I have tried "setenv CC /bin/cc" and
"setenv CC /bin/as" and get essentially the same error each way.  Do
I have to already have a working C compiler on the system?  My whole
reason for getting GCC on the system is that SCO does not include a C
compiler in their distribution.

Either I am just doing something silly or I need a way to bootstrap C
on the SCO box.  I haven't been able to find a pre-compiled GCC for
SCO Unix.  Does that exist somewhere that I can just download?

Following is the output from trying to configure GCC.

3% cd gcc-objdir
4% ../gcc-2.95/configure
Configuring for a i686-pc-sco3.2v5.0.5 host.
Created "Makefile" in /u/home/atkinson/GNU/gcc-objdir using "mh-frag"
Assembler: (null)
          aline 1 : Warning: Illegal flag (g) - ignored
          aline 1 : Syntax error
          aline 1 : illegal character
          aline 1 : illegal character
          aline 1 : Syntax error
*** The command '/bin/as -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

Thanks,

-Landy