Installed gcc 2.95.2. Configure can not determine host type.

I have installed gcc 2.95.2 on two different redhat linux installations on
i386. Configure can not determine host type after I installed this version.
I have to supply --host=i586-pc-linux-gnu when I run configure. This is only
a minor problem, but I would like to solve it.

This is how I compiled and installed gcc:

Untared the distribution.
Created an object directory.
Ran configure from that directory without any options. I want it installed
in the default location.
Did a "make bootstrap" to compile.
Removed the redhat gcc rpm version 2.7.2.someting.
Installed with "make install"

Gcc 2.95.2 works. I have compiled a lot of things with this version, but I
have to specify the host type when I run configure.

Regards
Torge Hjorth