Re: NFS mounted gcc on multiple OS versions

kevin_collins@my-deja.com writes:
|I have gcc installed under /usr/local on Solaris 2.5.1. and /usr/local
|is exported to several other machines running 2.5.1, 2.6 and 2.7 (tho
|not currently used). I am  in the process of upgrading our source
|management software from PVCS 5.3 to PVCS 6.5. PVCS 6.5 does not run on
|Solaris 2.5.1.
|
|I am getting a large amount of 'parse error' messages when I try
|building from a Solaris 2.7 system. I have determined that this problem
|is due to the fact that gcc creates "fixed" versions of system include
|files to resolve ANSI-C issues.
|
|I would like to be able to just create the "fixed" include files for 2.6
|and 2.7 and let gcc know about them, but I am not sure if it is possible
|for gcc to deal with these files for multiple versions of the OS.

Would copying all of the 2.5.1 (stock, not gcc-fixed) include files and
libraries into /usr/local/sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1/{include,lib} do what
you want? That would have the effect of getting gcc to always use the
include files and libraries for 2.5.1 -- effectively making gcc a cross
compiler when run on a 2.6 or 7 system (host 2.6 or 7, target 2.5.1).
Binaries made by that gcc should theoretically run on 2.5.1 or any
newer Solaris on the same type of processor.

Longer term, you may want to separate the shared executable / library
directories (while giving the newer OSes access to the older OSes'
directories so that they can execute them in binary compatibility mode).

Timothy J. Lee                                                   timlee@
Unsolicited bulk or commercial email is not welcome.             netcom.com