Undefined symbol problem, curses.h

Hi all,

I'm writing a small test program that includes curses.h, but I get
undefined symbol errors for functions that are defined in curses.h.
After reading a past message from this forum I tried adding -lcurses
to my compile command but it didn't help.  Here's the compile commands
I've tried:

gcc -o test test.c
gcc -lcurses test.c

Both give the same error:

noecho                              /var/tmp/ccjpehU_1.o
endwin                              /var/tmp/ccjpehU_1.o
initscr32                           /var/tmp/ccjpehU_1.o
halfdelay                           /var/tmp/ccjpehU_1.o
wgetch                              /var/tmp/ccjpehU_1.o
stdscr                              /var/tmp/ccjpehU_1.o

I'm sure the problem is in my compile command but I'm stuck.

 Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Kent