Re: build problem trying to find bison

John Pfuntner <John_Pfuntner@tivoli.com> writes:

> Tim Prince wrote:
>
> > It will be worth while to install gnu make, flex, and bison.  If you tried to
> > build directly from the tarball, I would think this message meant you had used
> > HP make by mistake rather than gnu make.
> > Tim Prince
> > tprince@computer.org
>
> I've done as you suggested and have gotten further in building gcc.  It ran for a
> while and then I got:
>
> [ .. errors ..]
>

> Can anyone suggest what to do now?

Gas is the Gnu ASsembler - it is part of the 'binutils' package. You'll
DEFINITELY want to get it to work with GCC - you can use the '-g' option
for example.

As for the errors you saw when bootstrapping gcc - these are probably
due to timestamps placed in the object files by the HP assembler. Assuming
you built gcc correctly via 'make bootstrap', you probably have
a working compiler. I had to build GCC on HP boxes (9.X and 10.X)
numerous times, and thanks to the efforts of the GCC people, it
worked.

What you should try is to install GCC, then get the binutils package,
and compile and install that. Then, rebuild GCC with a '--with-gnu-as'
configure option. That GCC will use the GNU assembler and your life
with HP-UX will be much better.

Also, you'll want (at least) GNU make, flex, gdb, and bison if you want
to compile more stuff.

P.S. - Check out 'http://egcs.cygnus.com' and 'http://sourceware.cygnus.com'
for the latest and greatest versions of GCC and binutils, respectively.

The EGCS page has instructions and recommendations about building
GCC on HP-UX, too.

--
# Art Haas