This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: -fPIC flag does'nt work on freebsd
- To: Satish Balay <balay at mcs dot anl dot gov>
- Subject: Re: -fPIC flag does'nt work on freebsd
- From: Jim Wilson <wilson at cygnus dot com>
- Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 16:37:31 -0800
- cc: egcs-bugs at cygnus dot com
Try using the -v flag with both the old gcc and the new egcs gcc to see
what the difference in assembler flags is.
Also check to see what assembler each compiler is using. It may be that
egcs is using a different assembler. I would guess that is the problem
here. The old gcc is perhaps using the very old as that comes with freebsd
and which requires the -k flag, whereas the new egcs gcc may perhaps be using
a new as that you installed from a recent binutils which doesn't want the
-k option. If that is the case, then we need some kind of configuration
change to handle the old assembler differently than the new assembler.