Re: Trunk in Stage 3.

Dear Steve,

Yes, I did miss it. The deferred character length fix became more than
a little bit obsessive in nature, after I picked it up, and I ignored
nearly everything else that was going on.

I have spent quite some time in the last few months, trying to
engineer a working schema for parameterized derived types. I think
that I have a solution but (i) it will be a fairly monumental
undertaking; and (ii) It will be the sort of addition that is
completely out of line with stage 3. On the bright side, this gives me
a reasonable amount of time to get it right. The submodule work went
this way too. I had been toying with it, when stage 3 of 5 branch
arrived. Although, what I did at that time was entirely wrong headed,
the process of thinking it through meant that implementation went
rather quickly.

Jerry has been working away on user-defined derived-type IO. I had
already undertaken to help him out with this but have fallen short on
that (Sorry, Jerry!). Jerry and I will work together to see if it can
be rolled out on a short timescale.

I have a patch for recursive, allocatable derived-type components more
or less ready to go. I'll see if I can submit it in the next 48 hours.
Of its nature, I believe that it will be save, even for stage 3; ie.
to trigger it requires that such a derived type be declared and the
patch is entirely ring fenced by statements along the lines "if this
component is allocatable and of the same type as the parent derived
type, do such-and-such".

Apart from these two new features, I have loads of bugs to work on!
The oldest concern pointers to components of derived type arrays. I
had hoped to introduce the array descriptor reform but just have not
had the time - it's another rather monumental task! Since it is, to my
knowledge, the only non-compliance with F95, I will submit the kludgy
solution that I have been avoiding.

Cheers

Paul

On 17 November 2015 at 02:13, Steve Kargl
<sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
> If you missed the announcement, trunk is now in Stage 3.
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2015-11/msg00075.html
>
> This means bugfixing and no new features unless the
> new feature has been previously submitted for review.
>
> So, who has outstanding patches needing reviews and
> who wants to jump on the squashing of old bug reports?
>
> --
> Steve

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx