Re: Ping: [Patch, fortran] Bug 68241 - [meta-bug] Deferred-length character - PRs50221, 68216, 63932, 66408, 67674 and 49954

Hi Steve,

Following an email from Dominique to me, I think not. In the course of
fixing PR49954, I put right the setting of the descriptor dtype. Since
this gets passed to the IO runtime, I think that this is the reason
for the difference in behaviour.

I think that another week of effort should put right gfortran's woes
with deferred characters. As well as concatenation problems that I
think I have fixed, parentheses cause instant death :-(

Cheers

Paul

On 14 November 2015 at 18:49, Steve Kargl
<sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 06:39:28PM +0100, Paul Richard Thomas wrote:
>>
>> I am completely unable to reproduce the problems that Dominique is
>> reporting for deferred_character_4.f90. This might be because the
>> patch has moved on to fix PR49554 :-)
>>
>> Concatenation expressions assigned to deferred length character arrays
>> need careful handling to ensure that the temporary creation for the
>> concatenation operator occurs at the right place, that the descriptor
>> dtype is updated and an array temporary is created if there is any
>> dependency between lhs and rhs. This latter has been implemented in
>> resolve.c.
>>
>> Testcases 4-6 have been added to reflect the additional fixes afforded
>> by the original patch, as reported by Dominique (thanks!).
>>
>> As soon as this patch has been committed, I will prepare a version for
>> 4.9 and 5 branches
>>
>> Bootstrapped and regtested on FC21/x86_64 - OK for trunk?
>>

> Hi Paul,
>
> I was going to cast an eye over your diff today.  I'll
> build and run some tests on FreeBSD.  Dominiq uses
> MacOS.  So, perhaps, some latent memory corruption
> issue.
>
> --
> steve

too dark to read.