Re: [Patch, Fortran] PR57217 - re-add type checks for TBP overriding

Hi Janus,

Janus Weil wrote:
in principle I think your idea to tighten up the type check by
symmetrizing it is ok.

I actually kind of copied it from the proc-pointer assignment check, which does the same.

However, I'm not sure if the place where you do it is the most
preferable: I think it should rather go inside of
check_dummy_characteristics (since any check for the dummy
characteristics should include the 'strict' type check, and not only a
check of type compatibility, cf. F08:12.3.2.2).

Okay. Maybe one can at the same time replace the rank+type check by a type and a rank check to provide a better error message, i.e. show the type for a type mismatch (showing both types)* and the rank for a rank mismatch (showing both ranks).

(* best with special handling of "no_arg_check")

Moreover, I think your current patch misses e.g. the assumed-type
handling that is present in compare_type_rank.

Good point. Another reason to think about splitting the two.

Would you interested updating this patch? Or should I put it again on my growing to-do list?

Tobias