This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GNU Fortran project.
Re: Maximum rank - Fortran 2008
- From: Tobias Burnus <burnus at net-b dot de>
- To: bpgomes55 at gmail dot com
- Cc: fortran at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 14:27:18 +0200
- Subject: Re: Maximum rank - Fortran 2008
- References: <CAOyuN1uUgaqYHT8_ZTVa+AdcffQMQfNr9ZQ7fE9==B_qn3iw=g at mail dot gmail dot com>
Romeu Braz Pereira Gomes Filho wrote:
I would like to know when gfortran will suport a maximum rank of 15 for arrays.
That's still unclear. The internal representation of arrays (array
descriptor, dope vector) uses 3 bits to represent the rank, which allows
for 2**3 = 8 values, which are used for rank == 0 (scalar) to rank == 7.
Thus, supporting rank > 7 arrays is not possible without incompatible
A new array descriptor is currently developed, but many aspects of the
internal representation have to be changed, it will take a while. The
internal representation of that array is documented in ISO/IEC Technical
Specification (TS) 29113:2012,
My guess is that the new descriptor will either be used in GCC 4.9,
which could be in two months. Or in GCC 4.10 if it will not ready in time.
If you want to try it, you could build GCC/gfortran from the Fortran-Dev
branch, which supports rank 15 arrays. There are still some issues, but
most features should work.