Re: [Patch, fortran] Module loading improvements part 1/3

Mikael Morin wrote:
Le 24/03/2013 22:58, Janne Blomqvist a Ãcrit :
The attached patch takes the crude approach of first sequentially
reading the .mod file into a temporary buffer, then does the actual
parsing from that buffer.
I don't like it much, but knowing how bad module files are currently
handled, it's probably the way to go.
- Caching module files, a crude implementation of the old "module
namespaces" idea. E.g. put the uncompressed module contents into a map
keyed by module name. (part 3/3).

But I'm not too fond of that one.  Bah, let's see if it improves things.

I wonder whether one should also do what Joost has proposed:* Changing "allocatable" to "al" etc. That reduces both the .mod file size (and thus I/O and improves caching) and the memory consumption of the compiler with the proposed caching scheme. As context-aware compression, it could even have a better ratio than ZIP. (ZIP can still be used on top of it.)

Tobias