Re: Crash course?

> Well, for a project like GCC/gfortran it's just the most reasonable
> way to organize communication. For gfortran, there is neither a single
> developer nor a fixed group of paid developers: Almost everyone works
> on gfortran in their spare time. (Note that the situation is a bit
> different in the greater context of GCC.)
I was thinking that a forum would be easier to use, ofc there are
merits to getting an email for every reply as well.

> And: Don't just sit in your basement and work on your patch until it's
> finished. It's probably a good idea to post half-ready stuff to the
> mailing list early on, in order to get some feedback about whether you
> are on the right track.
Good advice, will do!

> Btw, just out of curiosity: Are you doing this work out of "personal
> motivation", or are you paid by some employer to do it?

Just doing it out of the kindness of my heart :)  Really though, I
just ran into the issue and thought it would be a good entry point
into contributing to the open source community.  I'll certainly
benefit from this at my workplace but I'm doing this on my own dime.

~Russell